As the world’s leading destination for migrants, the US offers several ways to help families live together legally. An international student or scholar may be accompanied to the US by his or her dependent(s) at any time. Dependents are defined as spouses and/or unmarried minor children. Children over the age of 21 are not eligible to enter as the dependent of an international student or scholar. Whether you are a student or a professional, you can take advantage of existing US visa processes to bring your spouse, children, parents and other relations to the US. With our vast experience, EIPL can help you choose the right visa process and apply with confidence.


F-2 Dependents

F-2 dependents may receive their visas and admission to the United States along with you on the basis of the Form I-20 issued in their names.

An F-2 may remain as long as the F-1 maintains status. If the F-1 student falls out of status, then the F-2 falls out of status as well, because his/her visa status is a derivative of the F-1. Like F-1 students, F-2 dependents are required to keep their passports valid at least 6 months into the future.

J-2 Dependents

If your dependents are to accompany you or join you in the United States, they may obtain their visas and admission to the United States along with you on the basis of the Form DS-2019 issued in their names.

Interns accompanied by dependents must provide evidence of additional funds sufficient for their support.

  • For the spouse, an additional $500 per month is required.
  • For each child, an additional $250 per month is required.

H-4 Dependents

If H-4 dependents will be included in an H-1B petition:

  • The dependent will need to fill out an I-539 application.
  • The H-1B applicant will pay an additional I-539 filing fee, as well as biometrics fees.
  • Dependent fees can be paid by the prospective employee or the hiring department.
  • An I-539 application and additional fees are not necessary in consular processing cases
  • Other dependent visa processes: These are dependent visas for dependents of athletes, scientists, asylum seekers, refugees, witnesses, permanent residents, citizens and others who are legally living in the US and wish to live with their dependents to the US

It is important to create a comprehensive visa application with as much evidence and documentation as possible. We will assist you with each aspect of the application and help you get your documentation in perfect order. The documents you will need may include:

  • Passport & travel history
  • Background documentation
  • Spouse/partner documentation including marriage certificate
  • Extensive evidence of relationship including photos
  • Other proof of relationship
  • Income proof of sponsor to show adequate finances
  • Completed application & consulate fees
  • English language skills
  • If calling your child, they must be under the age of 18 at the time of application

The H1B dependent visa is called the H4 visa. The H4 dependent visa gives the right to live, study, and work in the US.

Dependents are defined as:

  • Spouse of the H1B visa holder
  • Children under the age of 21 whose parent is an H1B visa holder

The validity of the H4 visa

The validity of the visa is dependent on the visa of the sponsor who is also called the principal applicant.

The visa is usually sponsored by the spouse or parent who has an H1B visa. The H4 visa becomes invalid when the visa of the sponsor expires.

Holders of the H4 visa can:

  • Get a driver’s license
  • Get opportunities to study in the US
  • Qualify for financial services, such as banking and an H4 visa loan

Privileges of the H4 visa holder

  • The holder of the H4 visa may work part-time, full-time or not at all.
  • The H4 visa holder is permitted to start any form of business.
  • The holder of the H4 visa may continue to be eligible for EAD even if he does not seek employment.


The student dependent visa is called the F2 Visa. The US F2 visa is a non-immigrant dependent visa where the immediate family members of the F1 student visa holders can come to the US. Dependents include the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21.

  • Must be the spouse of an F1 student visa holder.
  • Must be the dependent child (under 21 years and unmarried) of an F1 visa holder.
  • Applicant must have enough financial resources to support the family in the US


  • Passport (both original and photocopies)
  • Visa application confirmation (DS-160)
  • A photograph conforming to U.S. visa rules
  • Birth certificate for dependent children
  • Marriage certificate for spouses
  • Visa fee payment receipt
  • Applicant’s I-20 form
  • Copy of F1 visa holder’s I-20 form
  • Applicant’s bank statements, tax records, and employment documents as proof of financial stability

Processing time for dependent visa

The average processing period for a visa is 15 to 30 working days. It can take much longer depending on a variety of circumstances like as the workload at the embassy or consulate, express delivery, the kind of Dependent visa USA, and so on. It also relies on when the sponsor submits their visa application. Your visas will be processed at the same time if you both apply for it at the same time. The act of scheduling an interview can take a long time and involve a lot of waiting. As a result, applying ahead of time is highly recommended.


The US visa application process can be a daunting prospect. EIPL will be by your side and assist you throughout the process. EIPL consultants are experienced and well-versed with the intricacies of the US immigration process. Your dedicated consultant will help you:

  • Identify and collect all your documents
  • Complete the visa documents checklist
  • Create your application package
  • Fill the various forms and applications accurately
  • Updates & follow up
  • Interview preparation
  • Concierge services
Share on
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

We are Always Ready to Assist Our Clients

Consulting & developing processes and procedures